Research of Colonial Williamsburg’s First Baptist Church Continues

Williamsburg Church Annex

Williamsburg Church AnnexWILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA—The Virginia Gazette studies that researchers led by Jack Gary, Colonial Williamsburg’s director of archaeology, have uncovered traces of the late nineteenth–century addition to the 1856 First Baptist Church constructing that after stood on South Nassau Avenue. The congregation that constructed these constructions was based by free and enslaved African People in 1776. Gary stated the church’s pulpit and altar have been positioned within the addition. The excavation of the church website has additionally revealed pottery, glass, and artifacts comparable to a nineteenth-century ink bottle. Investigation of the remainder of the lot the place the church was situated has additionally uncovered a pit dated to the early eighteenth century. The pit could also be related to John Tullitt, a bricklayer who was the primary documented proprietor of the location, Gary defined. The researchers are persevering with to speak with the descendants of First Baptist Church members and members of the present congregation about how the mission will proceed. To examine African People who fled slavery and constructed impartial communities, go to “Letter from Virginia: Free Earlier than Emancipation.”

Supply hyperlink

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *